Pages

Monday 6 August 2012

Random Thoughts

Just a few things that I've been thinking about over the past couple of weeks:


The Series 7 (Part 1) Trailer

I know that I wasn't the only one waiting to see this.  And now that I have,  I have to say that I was...underwhelmed.


Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to the series a lot (particularly the chance to see Every.  Dalek.  Ever!) but I didn't feel that the trailer really provided much more than the previous trailer shown a few months back.  There was some new stuff obviously, particularly the opening shot of the Doctor surrounded by Daleks, "dinosaurs on a spaceship!" and the almost-unexpected glimpse of River Song (I try to avoid spoilers so perhaps her return was common knowledge but I wasn't expecting it).  But otherwise it all seemed a bit flat.  Perhaps showing the trailer in the midst of all the real-life Olympic drama diminished its impact  somewhat. 

Still, roll on the start of the new series!  Whenever that is...

Mary Tamm RIP
Another companion gone and just weeks after Caroline John which just seems to make it worse somehow.  For those who don't know, Mary played the first incarnation of Romana for one series in 1978.  Although her time on the series was relatively short, she was still very popular with the fans and it's a great pity that she didn't stay with the series for longer as she and Tom Baker made a great double act.

Like Caroline John, Mary returned to the series and the character via the Big Finish audio plays, most recently alongside Tom Baker in the second series of the 4th Doctor audio adventures.  Her stories aren't available until next year which will make listening to them a sombre experience.  On the other hand, I'm extremely grateful for the fact that Big Finish has given us the opportunity to enjoy the 4th Doctor/Romana double act one last time.

The Olympic Opening Ceremony
With a show that included the Queen meeting James Bond and then jumping out of a helicopter, followed by Mr Bean doing Chariots of Fire and an army of Mary Poppinses (Mary Poppi?) fighting a giant Voldemort I was prepared to believe that maybe the Doctor really would turn up to light the flame.  Alas he didn't but we did hear the TARDIS at one point.  Maybe he got lost?

      

No comments:

Post a Comment